Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Shows what I know...

So, as I mentioned yesterday, having grown up in the neon-Cyndi Lauper-power dressing stylings of the 1980s and, indeed, the Global Hypercolour t-shirt-busy floral print-parachute pants dystopia that was the 1990s I know very little about timeless style. McCalls, however, know ALL about it. How do I know? Because they told me so, with this confident pronouncement:
Argyle? I had no idea! Nobody I know under the age of 35 rocks the argyle unless they're attempting to be ironic, but maybe we're the poorer for it. Maybe Argyle really IS forever, and not diamonds, as I had previously supposed. However, I do have to wonder exactly how timeless the McCall's interpretation of argyle is. This is the design that accompanies the above description:
What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is a trifecta of 1970s fashion keynotes- big bold print? Check! Print continuing on both top and bottom of two piece outfit? Check! Orange and brown? Checkity check check CHECK! It says 'three autumn colours' in the description. Maybe it's just me, but I can only see the rust orange, and the chocolate brown. Get used to these colours, you'll be seeing quite a bit more of them. The only thing missing is a mushroom, owl, or tiger somewhere in the picture (you'll be seeing a lot more of them, too).

You might be getting the impression that our journey through the 1970s is going to be all about the snark. But you would be wrong! There is plenty to love about 70s style. Like anything fashion forward, sometimes it endures, sometimes it doesn't. I'll leave you to make your mind up about the argyle. But tomorrow, I'll be bringing you something that might change your mind if you're inclined to think of the 70s as some kind of style wasteland.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think there are two shades of rust orange - the inside and the outside of the check lines.

Ellen said...

So there are! That was puzzling me- thank you!