Monday, August 16, 2010

New Directions

My current job sucks. I'm not going to prevaricate. However, I do have one or two really lovely colleagues (they get a little lost amongst the awful ones, but there you go). Last week, one of them brought this in to work to make a photocopy of a pattern:
This fine craft publication is the McCall's Needlework and Crafts magazine for Fall/Winter 1972. There is so very much to enjoy in here, from the horrifying to the frankly fantastic. I thought it would be fun to have a look together, wouldn't you agree?

Let's start with a rather wonderful advertisement that caught my eye in the back of the magazine:
Yes, that's right. For the ridiculously cheap price of $6.95, you can crochet your own hot pants- in machine-washable Orlon!
I can't help wondering, though, about the yarn. Orlon rather sounds like a pointy-bearded, green-skinned villain with a silver cloak and huge shoulder-pads that Captain Kirk did battle with.
The colour choices for your own hot pants are very much of their time. Sure, you've got timeless colours like French Blue, Emerald, and Scarlet (I think I may even have seen similar colours- and designs- on Ravelry...) . But if you were really fashion-forward in 1972, then Wyco Yarns had you covered with Avocado and Coral. Personally, I think Avocado is more a colour for bathrooms, but then I'm a child of the 80s and don't know anything about timeless style. More about that tomorrow!

1 comment:

RigbyMel said...

Knitted hot pants rather boggle the mind!